Thursday, November 6, 2008

100 years old!

That's how old my grandma will be on Sunday. 100 years! Can you imagine? I wonder what she thinks of this election? I find it fascinating to ask her those kinds of questions. She's still able to hold a conversation and understands most of what you say. She lived in her own house until a little over a year ago when she went to live in a nursing home minutes from my dad and aunt. She has trouble getting around and is in a wheelchair now, but her mind - it's sharp as a tack!

We are going to Baxter Springs, Kansas, for a big celebration for her on Sunday at the church where she and my grandpa used to go. All of her granchildren (25+) will be there (except my oldest brother that lives in Japan) with their kids and, for a few, their kids! She's so excited - she's worrying about her hair and what she should wear. After all, the day will be all about her! (I wonder where I get it from???)

I will be the staff photographer (see, I brought it back to me). I'll post a few pictures next week after I get back. I spent my lunch hour today and 2 hours after work shopping and trying to find SOMETHING TO WEAR! (Again, all about moi!)

What is it about trying to find something special at the last minute and finding NOTHING. Do they wait to put the crappiest clothes out on the racks until they know someone will be looking for something "special?" I found two pairs of shoes that do not match the two pairs of slacks I bought, for which I do not have blouses that will match. I did find two pairs of jeans that sort of fit, but were on the clearance shelf. If you know me, you know I can't pass up a bargain - wait for it...it's like leaving money on the table.

You know what I'll end up wearing, right? Something I already own! It's probably 100 years old. That should be appropriate.

2 comments:

Barb said...

It is so great to have a grandma that is 100 years old! Can you imagine everything she has seen and done?! Have a fantastic time, and I can't wait to see the pictures YOU took (all about you, right?!). ;)

Brett & Cherie Garrett said...

Oh fun! I know I'm late..but tell her I said HAPPY BIRTHDAY! What did you end up wearing? I can't wait to see pics! Thanks for FINALLY updating. Maybe you'll keep ME going!!!